Friday, October 17, 2008

WOW! It has been a while....

.... Since we reported on an injury (at least a couple of weeks, right???). I got a message from Imagine Charter School about 12:45 today- It was Erika... she told me that she fell off the top of the playset - HEAD FIRST - and her nose & face broke her fall..... all the way down each & every steel platform, until she landed face / nose first on the wood chips! Then, her shoe that flew off her foot during her fall - hit her in the face, as well! Great finale! This happened around 11:30 or 11:40am, but I didn't hear about it until nearly 1pm! The nurse & everyone in the office said that they couldn't believe how brave she was - not a tear! When I called the school back when I got her message, the nurse said that she suspected her nose was broken. I was beside myself with panic! The health aide said that she had given her some ice & Erika returned to class. I asked to talk be put through to the classroom to talk to Erika directly - and just as I did, the health aide said that Erika had just come back into her office in too much pain to stay & wanted to go home. I spoke to Erika to get the details & how she felt & raced to the school to see for myself the damage yet another Miller had inflicted on themself! You just can't write books like this - without including a complimentary dose of Prozac! :)

After several hours at the ER - we learned she fractured her nose & the right side of the fracture is slightly out of alignment (those of you who know her - will notice the hump & difference in her nose), she has "closed head trauma" / concussion & injured (but did NOT fracture) her neck. She chipped one of her front teeth - because you just can't skip the small details when you are a Miller! The Dr.'s immediately thought her cheekbone / orbital bone was fractured & it showed up to be fine in the CT scan. This little girl looks pretty swollen, bruised & rough right now, but how blessed she & we are it was not worse. The Dr's said that she will most likely have double black eyes & bruising all across her nose, and a very, very stiff neck. Such an absolute blessing from the Lord that she wasn't hurt worse.

So, lots of ice, rest & pain meds & NO soccer for the 2 final games (that is breaking her heart!) - and she sees the ENT who did my sinus surgery on Monday, Oct. 27th to see what we need to do (if anything) to get her nose "right".

I could not believe how brave this little girl was today. Not a tear at all, until after the ER when her headache & the pain from blinking her eyes was excruciating from all the poking & prodding. Not a tear - even when it happened. She said that she just crawled to the teacher on duty for help to the nurse's office. (The teacher on the playground didn't think she was hurt that bad & had a student escort her to the office....) Then, after getting ice - and leaving a message for me - she went back to class. She returned about 30 minutes later in too much pain to stay. So, I picked her up & ran her to the ER.

Thank you to Becky Vavla for picking up Lily from Preschool! I don't know what I would have done without that help with Jim in China, again! What a blessed, blessed day. And what a blessed, blessed little girl!

3 comments:

Kris said...

Oh my crap Angela!! Seriously could you inform your kids that health care is NOT free???

Seriously, what a bad string of luck for you guys. I sure hope she feels betters soon. :(

alison said...

I really hope she feels better soon and heals fast--i'm hearing about WAY too many kids falling off playgrounds lately. it's almost as if someone went and sprayed them all with WD-40 or something.

KrisJ said...

OMGosh I demand that you all start living in a bubble! Im so glad she is ok what a trooper she is. Please let me know if I can help in any way!