My baby sister, Teresa & I are not only sisters - we are BEST friends - regardless of the 12 year age gap between us. Which is hard to believe, when you consider the things I used to do to poor Teresa when she was in high school! For one, anytime I was visiting my family & Teresa needed to be picked up, I would jump up & down raising my hand screaming "Me! Me! Pick Me! Oh, Me!..." And, my parents (being relieved that THEY didn't have to go pick her up) gladly allowed me to go to fetch the young one....
This was the normal pattern for me..... Go through Halloween box FAST, find best wig in there, put on one of grandma's housecoats & slippers.... drive to the football stadium, dance venue, etc.... park as close to the front gate / doors as I can in grandma's orange clunker car that we dearly named "The Pumpkin". The Pumpkin was famous for backfiring - which I normally HATED to drive, unless it was one of "these" nights.... :)
I digress.... I would park along the curb as close to the front as I can & then swing open the door, step up on the side of the car & start hollering as loud as I could, "Ter-EEEE-sa! Ter-EEE-sa! Grammy's here for you, baby! Ter-EEE-sa! C'mon sugar-booger, hurry up, now! Grammy has some pill's to take!!!" When she would finally HAVE to acknowledge me, she would run to the car, jump in (literally) & yell, "Hurry! Take off before anyone else see's you!!!" I would cry with laughter the entire way back to mom & dad's house!
Well, the years have been good to us... they have blessed us with children of our own to torture! So, when Alyssa needed a ride to her first Homecoming (a few years ago) with all of her girlfriends - where they were meeting in the very front of the school... of course, Teresa & I (nearly without speaking...) retreated to our own basements & boxes in a hurry. When we emerged - my sweet daughter was speechless. Teresa & I howling with laughter.... Alyssa, still speechless & HORRIFIED.....
This is what it looked like from Alyssa's perspective from the backseat of my car... sweet, SWEET times! Teresa & I laughed until we cried the entire way home!
And, this is why kids HATE having us as moms..... :)
(Notice the awesome horns of hair on my purple wig... & Teresa having to sit sideways so her hair would quit rubbing on the roof of the car! GOOD TIMES.....)
1 comment:
You must have not scarred me too much or else I've blocked most of those memories. I do remember a few times, especially at football games being picked up by "Grammy". I think I was more horrified by the backfiring car that sent students ducking for cover!
Post a Comment