Friday, November 7, 2008

Erika Update, again...

Erika recieved a beautiful priesthood blessing from dear friends of ours the night before her surgery this week. I have never seen a child so moved by a blessing. She started to cry during the blessing & then sobbed for about 30 minutes afterwards. I sobbed right along with her. I was sad that Jim had forgotten to give her a blessing before he flew out on business, but now see that it was, literally, a blessing to receive the insight that the Lord wanted her & I to have through the mouths of these great men who were removed from the situation.

The surgery went extremely well. The Dr. was amazed that all the fractures he could see on the CT Scan did not all appear to be fractures once he was scoping the area. He said that her bones were able to move pretty easily back into place & he did not have to make the 2 outer incisions on the sides of her nose. What a blessing! He cast her nose & said that the cast would come off in a week & then, he would see her back in 6 weeks.


He said that there is a 90% chance that she will need to have another surgery to fix the crushed cartilidge (sp?) on the side of her nose where the compression fracture was & to straighten her septum that is very crooked. They can't do the soft tissue correction until they are 14 - 16 years old & their noses have quit growing. Until then, he expects that she will have a "dent" or "depression" on the right side from the damage.

So, in great Miller style (I despise that term, just so you know!) as she is getting up & around a little last night, she comes up the stairs to say goodnight to Lily & Brock as I am putting them to bed. On her way down, she falls down the stairs & SMACKS her casted nose on the bannister. No bleeding, a little bit more swelling & an increase in pain for her nose & right eye, of course.... the surgeon sees us first thing in the morning on Monday to take off her cast & make sure she hasn't undone his fine work already! I think that the man who brought this 'gift' for injury needs to spend more time at home 'mopping up the messes' his gene pool gets into! My McCleery genes didn't bring ANY of this into the mix - I swear!

3 comments:

Erica said...

Thanks for the update- I have been thinking about her a lot! I glad to hear that the surgery wasn't as intense as the doctors had thought, however that poor girl needs to learn how to fall!

KrisJ said...

O Im glad it looked better inside than he thought it would. And what a blessing blessings are!

Pam said...

What an experience! Hope she heals up well and that the rest of the process goes smoothly. She's still a cutie even with the nose cast.